There are an estimated 670,000 people living with dementia in the UK and as the population ages this figure is expected to increase; however, there is currently no cure and no new drugs have been licensed to treat the disease since 2002.
The impact of dementia can be devastating both for the person diagnosed with the disease and for family, friends and the wider community. Awareness of dementia has grown significantly and whilst this adds pressure to increase publicly funded research, the demands on public money mean it’s unlikely to be at the scale the problem requires.
At RICE we know we cannot afford to wait and have launched the DementiaPlus Appeal to raise £1million by 2019 to further develop our research programme.
Click here to see an outline of how the funds will be divided and put to use
Click here to view the Expansion Plan for the RICE Centre
The DementiaPlus Appeal will fund research to help us develop a better understanding of dementia, and improve early diagnosis and treatment. Specifically it will enable RICE to
- Expand and develop our research Centre of Excellence
- Scope and conduct innovative research into a range of neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and other types of dementia
- Research new drug and non-drug therapies to help people live well with dementia
- Increase contribution to knowledge of dementia through publishing research papers and speaking at conferences
- Provide additional opportunities for participation in clinical research studies
- Continue to inform best practice for the provision of specialist services for older people
The impact of this work will result in healthcare changes to more effectively:
- Diagnose patients
- Support patients and carers following diagnosis
- Limit the impact of disease symptoms
- Slow disease progression
With the ultimate ambition to help find a cure for dementia.
How you can help
If you would like to support our appeal you can donate online or send a cheque (made payable to RICE) to the Fundraising team at the RICE Centre.
Alternatively, you could organise an event, participate in a sports challenge or ask your employer or a club/organisation of which you are a member to support the appeal - if you have any ideas you would like to discuss please contact the fundraising team who will be happy to support you.
Address: Fundraising Department, The RICE Centre, Royal United Hospital, Combe Park, Bath, BA1 3NG
Telephone: 01225 476435
Thank you for your support