Cognitive Stimulation Therapy
Cognitive Stimlation Therapy (CST) is a seven week evidence based group programme for people with dementia.
The group runs for seven consecutive weeks on a Friday afternoon from 2.15pm to 4pm. The group is run in the day room downstairs at RICE. Any relatives who come with the group members are welcome to stay and have a cup of tea in the waiting room upstairs.
CST is designed to stimulate memory and will be challenging and fun. We have a number of activities to choose from each week and these activities will be selected based around the group’s abilities and interests.
There will be 5-8 people in each group. Group members have been chosen who will hopefully get along well. There will also be two group facilitators, Nicolle and another staff member (usually another nurse or psychologist). There will not be any tests involved with these groups, only a small questionnaire at the end of the course.
Aims of the CST sessions
- The group will be interactive, engaging and provide satisfaction to people attending.
- The activities will be geared towards the abilities and interests of the group.
- We will create continuity and consistency between sessions to help and support memory.
- We will work with memory aids such as wipe boards with the group name and activities written on them. Pictures and words will also be used to help with retrieval of memory.
- The group will provide a stimulating learning environment where everyone’s contribution is valued and respected and all the views of our participants are welcomed.
- We will encourage people to join in, if they are hesitant, by seeing others enjoying themselves.
- The groups will provide a learning atmosphere that is fun.
What will the group involve?
The first week, group members decide on a group name and a song which we remind them of and sing each week. Each week will involve a discussion about current news stories. The sessions will then involve activities based around two themes which vary each week:
Week 1. Physical games and sounds
Week 2. Childhood and food
Week 3. Current affairs and faces / scenes
Week 4. Word association and being creative
Week 5. Categorising objects and orientation
Week 6. Using money and number games
Week 7. Word games and team quiz
If you would like to find out more about CST please contact RICE on 01225 476420 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org